Sunday, January 6, 2008


I decided to learn to knit today, as I’ve heard that knitting is very akin to Zen, Zen being a close relative of Yoga and in the same part of the alphabet. I did glance briefly at the Knitting for Dummies book that I got for Christmas, but decided it wasn’t for me. For one thing, I am not a Dummy. Hence my lack of interest. But that’s not all. Its cover is so garishly yellow that any sense of balance and harmony inherent in the act of knitting would be quite overwhelmed by it. Besides, my Human Female also gave me a knitting lesson certificate, so who needs to go to the trouble of reading anything? Then I looked at my gift yarn. Well! I admit that I think the colors are quite nice—a pastel variegation of green, lavender, gold, and a lovely rose which would be quite fetching as a sweater against my palest-of-pink skin. But the actual yarn is furry! Is this a joke? I suppose I can use it to learn with. After all, I do need some cheap yarn for practice before I go on to my next project in alpaca or cashmere, or maybe even real pink angora! This is so exciting! I need to start that lesson right away.

No comments: